Saturday, November 22, 2014

Don't We All Have a Little Scarlett O'Hara in Us?


         Do you remember the scene in Gone With the Wind where Scarlett O’Hara is desperate for money to save her southern plantation? She lost everything in the Civil War and had to work in the hot sun, picking cotton, to keep it going. She decided to visit the wealthy Rhett Butler and ask for money. She didn’t want to show up looking like a field hand, so she made an elaborate dress out of the ornate curtains in her living room. She meets Rhett and talks to him as if her life is going great, and she doesn’t have a care in the world. He is happy to see her, until he looks at her hands. He sees how rough and weathered they are and realizes the meeting was a charade, because she had been working in the fields, was penniless, and wanted money from him.
         I never understood that scene until I saw it again recently. She was pretending to be someone she was not, or at least, she was not representing her reality. She was doing her best to make herself and her situation appear better. 
         I remembered this scene, as I was getting ready for a networking meeting. I didn’t want to wear the old work shirt with our company name and logo on it. It’s not that I’m ashamed of the company, it’s that the shirt is old, too small and not in style anymore. It looks more like a mechanic’s shirt, than a marketing shirt. Envisioning the other women at the meeting wearing cute, stylish clothes, I wanted to wear something else. However, the truth is, November is a slow month for our company, and anytime we can get our name out there, it helps bring in jobs. But, like Scarlett, I didn’t want to appear desperate. I wanted to appear confident, like everything was going great.
         Don’t we all do that at times? A women wears a beautiful wedding ring, even though their marriage is anything but shiny. People drive expensive cars they can't afford. Others brag about their kid’s success, but leave out the reality of their strained relationship. Don’t most people present an I-have-it-all-together image on Facebook and social media, when their life may really be unraveling?
         Thankfully, God knows our reality. We don’t have to put on a fancy drapery dress and try to impress Him. He knows when our life is difficult  - maybe not picking cotton in the fields – but still painful and hard.  He loves us and has a plan for our lives.
         Unlike Scarlett O’Hara, we don’t have to rely on our land or Rhett Butler to survive. We have a God who loves us and will provide for us from His abundant riches. We know, as Believers, what David said is true:
“Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.”         
 Psalm 54:4
          Even though I didn’t want to, I wore my company shirt to the meeting. I prayed and trusted God would provide for us through the lean months, as He has for so many years.
               Have you ever acted like you had it all together, when you were really going through a rough time?


7 comments:

  1. Like this a lot. "Unmasked" - no more drapery dresses!!! Let's promise to be real with one another because only then can we intercede on behalf of real people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I definitely fall prey to this! (and I read Gone With the Wind about 6 times as a teenager--when I read it again a few years ago, I had totally different opinion of the book). Thank you for the reminder that we need to be authentic--all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! We all do this! I recently saw someone post a graphic meme on Facebook that said we didn't need to say anything negative or complaining on Facebook and only share the positive, happy, uplifting stuff. I didn't comment, but I wanted to say, "But that's not the way life is. Real life isn't always positive or happy or uplifting and sometimes we all need to share the negative, the complaints, and the ugly because we need others to help us carry the load." I don't know about you, but my life is messy, painful, frustrating, and sinful as well as neat, joyful, calm, and holy. It's great to have a positive attitude, but it's healthier and more important, I think, to embrace the truth and to be our authentic selves with others. I'm not saying you ought to air all of your dirty laundry, but presenting a perfect image all the time is WAY overrated and just not based in reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I think everybody loved your 31 day series. You were open and honest about your struggles and didn't fake that things were easy or pretty. I admire that you are able to share like that. And I agree, I think we can learn and grow from each other if we share our authentic, messy selves. I learn more from how people deal with adversity, than I do from perfect Pinterest boards. Blessings to you Momma!

      Delete