Monday, March 30, 2015

Finish


            Well, it’s finally happened. My word for the year, chosen in January, is ‘Finish’, and it is now April and I finally finished some things. I started working on this website in November and voila! Here it is finished.
            A family member, who shall remain nameless, suggested the word Finish when I was trying to decide what to focus on for the year. Last year I chose the word Joy, and that was a good year. I wanted to choose another word like Happy, Cheerful or Fun, but those didn’t seem right. After looking around at all my unfinished projects, stacks of paper and writing assignments lying around, I agreed the word Finish would be a good focus word for the New Year.

            I love to start new projects, but after a while my enthusiasm wanes, and sometimes I have trouble finishing the projects, especially with mundane tasks like balancing the checkbook or filing insurance claims. So, after much determination I focused and attacked the piles of paper clutter that had accumulated on and around my desk. It took some hours but now that these things are truly finished, I feel like a huge burden has been lifted.
            During Easter week when we are reminded of Jesus’ famous words on the cross, “It is finished,” I am grateful for the burden He took on for us. To know that He took the burden of our sins on Himself, and paid the price with His life, is overwhelmingly humbling.
            A woman whose husband recently passed away told me she was so grateful she learned that Jesus loved her and forgave her for her sins. She became a changed person a few years ago, after the burden of carrying her past and her struggles were forgiven. She said she knew about Jesus and Him dying on the cross, but never knew He did it for her personally and that she could come to know the God who loved her. She said her husband received Christ as his Savior on his deathbed, and told her it was because he had seen her life change when she started following Christ. Amazing.
            I’m thankful Jesus finished His work on the cross to pay for our sins. But I am also thankful He is not finished with us. The Bible says,
“ I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” Philippians 1:6.
            Do you have any unfinished business, personal or spiritual, you need to do this year? Feel free to share my word for the year. Finish.




No comments:

Post a Comment