Tuesday, October 11, 2016

In the Enemy's Ring


This is Day 11 of the October series, 31 Days of Change.

Here is Nicole's story:

         “Growing up we never lived in the same place more than a year. More often than not it was only 6 months before we were moving again, usually across the country. My Dad was in construction work so we moved where the work was. I never had any close friendships growing up because of it, and I had a lot of anxiety for the same reason. My parents took us to church once in awhile but my Mom didn't drive and my Dad worked long hours. Sometimes he would have to leave for a few weeks at a time so we were just at home a lot.

         I never felt like I belonged anywhere, and as I grew older, I started searching for love in all the wrong places. I looked for love with alcohol, very bad relationships and much more. I ran away from home when I was 17. I lived in Detroit, Michigan with a Satan worshiping drug addict. I sold drugs, drank heavily and smoked weed daily. I was held at gunpoint, raped more than once, shot at and the list goes on. I found myself buried under even more loneliness than before. I was afraid for my life, but too proud to go home to my parents.

         My family and best friend were worried about me and would not give up trying to get me out of the terrible situation I was in. They kept praying for me and begged me to go to church.  I finally decided to go "one time" to "shut them up.” I decided before I went I was not going to like it and I was only going to go one time to prove it wasn't for me. I was 19 at that point.

         That night there was a guest preacher and his wife. I never met them before and neither had my family.  God spoke to me through him and his wife in a BIG WAY. After the teaching, which I tried very hard to ignore, they gave an altar call. I refused to go up. My family and friend were praying that God would touch me even though I was being so stubborn. The pastor's wife walked up to me in my seat and asked if she could pray for me. I reluctantly said yes. 

She prayed and then said  
"I see you stepping out of the enemy's ring and into God's ring.” 

 
I cried like a baby and felt God moving on my heart for two days after that. I never went back to my old way of life. I never returned to the place I was living. My parents changed their phone number and made it unlisted because there were people who wanted me back there.  


I had escaped and God saved my life! 

         I've stumbled along the way, of course, but the drugs, alcohol and bad relationships were done forever.

         God has definitely changed my life. He set me free from loneliness and feeling like I was unlovable, and empty, as well as alcohol, other addictions and eventually cigarettes. Suddenly, I needed none of the things I thought I needed before to feel happy and loved. I knew beyond a shadow of any doubt that God was real, He loved me unconditionally and that He had set me free!!

The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
2 Timothy 4:18

Isn’t it amazing how God knows the details of our lives and speaks to us personally, working out our situations for good? 
Have you ever had him rescue you from a bad situation?
          If you would like to read more in the 31 Days of Change series, click here.



1 comment: