Saturday, October 15, 2016

A Prodigal Daughter’s Journey


    Angelica's story:
        

         I grew up in a small town where there was a Catholic Church, a gas station and a barbershop. I piggybacked on my mom’s relationship with God, but did what everyone else was doing in high school. I had a serious boyfriend from the time I was 15 years old until I was 18 years old.  He also did not have a relationship with God and did not believe that the Bible was completely true. I argued with him about it, but I had no foundation for my faith to stand up for Christ and stand up for the inerrancy of scripture.


         Fortunately, my brother introduced my sisters and I to Sagebrush Community Church. I would go when my sisters would let me stay in Albuquerque with them, which was only about once a month.


         Every time I watched Todd’s sermon, conviction and emotions would wash over me. Unfortunately, I did not go to church enough to get plugged into the REMIX high school ministry to truly foster a relationship with Christ. God was still able to reach my soul through what was taught, and brought me to full surrender.


         Even with my misconceptions about the Lord, I realized how He was working in me right where I was and calling me into His wonderful grace. Because of this, I was baptized when I turned 17. I wish I could say that is when my full surrender happened. Unfortunately, my rebellion took me on a bit of a detour.



         At 18 I graduated high school and the next day I was off to Mexico on a ship (when God specifically told me not to go.) My boyfriend, his friend, and I set sail from Ensenada to Cabo to live out an epic summer before college, without a care in the world. God had other plans. Halfway through our trip the motor crashed and we were stranded in the middle of nowhere in the ocean. This made me reflect on my life and wonder what I was doing with it.



         Ultimately, God took me out of that situation and kept me safe from the three-month vacation that turned into a two-week nightmare. I made it home and my best friend and sister, Maria, ran to me the same way the dad ran to his prodigal son in Luke chapter 15.



Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.




         I returned empty and without purpose to start my new life as an adult. Here, God ran to me at full force and His love embraced me in a way words could never express.  
I was lost and then I was found

         All at once, I jumped in at our church. I attended membership classes, and joined Rise, the college ministry.  There, my sister began a small group at my home where a band of brothers and sisters in Christ embraced me and answered my silly questions about God. It was there I began to learn how to live a life devoted and pleasing to the Lord. I began serving in the Young Adult Ministry, Missions, and walking closely with the Lord and learning about his AWESOME majesty.



For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11




         Two years later my sister asked me if I would be interested in serving with kindergarden-2nd grade kids at the Sagebrush Eldorado Campus where we began attending. I brushed it off and said. “Well, I guess…I am not sure if kids really like me.” Soon I fell in love with them!



         Two months later God privileged and honored me with the gift of serving on staff at Sagebrush Community Church as the Eldorado Campus Kids Director, shocking, I know. I have been on staff for one year and it has been the most exciting privilege I could have ever imagined! God has blessed me with wonderful kids I have grown to love and I joined the Eldorado campus family who have embraced me with so much love! I love our team and what God has done with my life. God is AMAZING and provides us with more than we could ever ask for or even imagine! He is a good good father and He truly does give you beauty for your ashes if you let Him. He did it for me and continues to every day.  All God wants is you! He is gracious and quick to forgive! Run home to Him and He will run even faster to you!! 

Angelica on a mission trip in Nicaragua.



  Isn't it amazing how God changes people's lives?



  For the month of October I am writing everyday on the power of God to change people's lives. To see all of the posts from 31 Days of Change, click one of the links below.



Day 1:   He Did What?!
Day 9:   Depression to Joy
Day 12:  Holding His Hand
Day 13:  Changed
Day 15:  A Prodigal Daughter’s Journey
Day 17:  Never the Same
Day 18:  The C Word
Day 19:  Punk to Pastor
Day 21:  Is There Life After Prison?
Day 22:
Day 23:
Day 24:
Day 25:
Day 26:
Day 27:
Day 27:
Day 28:
Day 29:
Day 30:
Day 31:

 



 

2 comments:

  1. What a powerful testimony! Oh my... your 'vacation' sounds like it turned into one of my biggest fears! But even then and there, God was with you and He is so faithful in His constant pursuit of us! And aren't you glad for that? I know I am! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree. This is my friend Angelica's story. God has really used her since she surrendered to Him.

      Delete