Saturday, October 18, 2014

Best Laid Plans


Welcome back to Day 18 of Our Adoption Adventure. If you would like to read from the beginning, click here.
                                    *************************************
            I grew to really like Emma. She was sweet and kind. Even as she grew more and more uncomfortable with the added weight and pregnancy related pains, she remained positive and always had a smile on her face.  If we ever were to adopt these babies I was glad I would be able to tell them how wonderful their birth mother was.
         The last two months of her pregnancy Emma’s belly grew enormous. She quit her job and though not officially on bed rest, she was exhausted and spent much of her time lying on the couch. We talked on the phone every few days and I drove her to her appointments every other week. She filled me in on how she was feeling and we talked comfortably.  Our relationship was somewhere between big sister, little sister and mentor, mentee. I ordered larger maternity clothes and a pregnancy belt to help take the pressure off her ever-expanding middle, and had them mailed to her house. She was delighted and thankful for the gifts.
         As I promised myself, I was not letting my heart jump fully into the emotional pool.  I was there to help Emma. If at the end she still wanted to place the babies for adoption, I would be thrilled. But after our first two adoptions fell through, I did not want to get my hopes up.
         Her pregnancy proceeded normally and our life at home went on as usual. The twins were developing right on schedule and the doctor confirmed they were due at the end of August.
         Our daughter’s birthday was at the beginning of the month. Her last birthday had been overshadowed by circumstances beyond our control. The previous year one of our key employees was found murdered on her birthday. (You can read that story here.) Her birthday was cut short as our family flew home from vacation to tend to the situation. I felt bad for her and was determined to make it up this year. To allow for plenty of time before the twin’s birth, I planned a larger than normal celebration, for five days before her birthday. We invited 12 ten-year-old girls to meet at a pottery shop and create and paint ceramics. Afterwards, we would have dinner and games at our house and a huge sleepover. I was pleased with myself for going all out, planning and having everything ready the day before. I fell into bed exhausted the night before the birthday party. 
         It was 11:00pm as I prayed for Emma and the twins. I remember thinking our daughter’s birthday was our last major event before the babies were due. Any day after the birthday party would be a good day for them to make their appearance into the world. After the party we could be ready to leave at a moments notice when Emma went into labor. After the party I could begin to think about cribs, baby clothes, bottles, and all the other items we might need. After the party I would pack a bag for the few days we would be spending the night out of town when we picked up the babies. I drifted off to sleep thinking of all the tasks I would focus on . . . after  . . . the  . . . party . . .

          At 1:00am I was jolted awake by the phone ringing.


                                           ************************** 


"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." Proverbs 16:9 
 

*** Click here  to read Day 19. ***


2 comments:

  1. You are such an amazing writer! Can't wait to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! I really appreciate you reading and sharing!

      Delete